Monday, February 4, 2008

I'm not sure what I'm doing




Feathers? Leaves? Petals? Butterfly wings?
(The colour isn't dye, it's burning. It tastes like burning!)
Not quite sure yet.

About 1/4 cup light corn syrup, 2 cups sugar - bring slowly to boil, stirring just until the sugar is all moistened - cover (if you can, leave candy thermometer in and balance lid while the thermometer is still there). Check every minute or so with candy thermometer till it gets close to 300f - leave uncovered and watch until it does get to 300. take off heat. Let sit and cool till thickens - pour onto parchment paper, lifting paper edges to make sure it doesn't spill over.

Let cool until it doesn't move around if you lift the paper - grease the heck out of the edges of a metal cookie cutter, cut shapes quickly. Let cool completely. Lift entire candy sheet from parchment, just to loosen it. Put it back down - and then re-cut the shapes with the cookie cutter, they'll likely come out clean and stuck in the cutter - pop out and you haves shapes!!


The problem I'm having is burning the sugar. See the black blob? That was supposed to be purple - I think the colouring helps the sugar heat a lot faster somehow.

I'm making another pound cake duck as I type - also made a mini bunt cake, and will make some rice crispie treat heads tonight.
Oh did I post that? Genius Erin at work told me to try using rice crispie treats for the head (apparently the ace of cakes dude does that a lot), so it won't be so heavy! faboo!

And what does Des do while I bake?

She talks on her lid-phone.

No comments:

 
Hit Counters