Monday, October 27, 2008

Velvet Capes



Finally - DONE!


Taking on both Des and Brianna's capes (and aprons, I'll do those tomorrow) for Halloween was more work than I anticipated. I'm a novice sewer, so hemming etc. took much seam-ripping - often on the longer seams in the garments (AUGH!) ... but now they are done!

Trying to hem a garment meant for a toddler - that I was making too tall for the toddler is silly-hard. Toddler isn't going to stay still, and besides, since I was making both capes too big (so they'll fit later) the hem line was hard to measure. So, I improvised - I mounted a doll on top of the vacuum

Hey, it worked. Lol.

The capes are red velvet, lined with satin. They have tassels on the tips of the hoods (white for Brianna, black for Des) and frog closures in the front (white for Brianna, red for Des).


They have buttons on the inside to fold up the hem until the girls get taller, at which time the hem can be let down an additional 4 inches. 


I had to rip out a total of 6 seams, and re-cut one large piece. I'm too impatient for this sewing stuff, I make mistakes too easily because of it.

1 comment:

Sue said...

You did an incredible job! Those weren't easy projects to tackle! Love the manequin! Very clever. Dress are finished and in the mail today.....

 
Hit Counters